Monday, September 17, 2007

Corn Husk Dolls

The girls and I made our Corn Husk Dolls during morning nap time....


The process itself was really fun and great for Maia, who is 3, to help with. She was my helper with the more difficult tasks of tying the string and putting the clothes on the doll. They take time when working working with small children, so if you are using my program keep the morning free to work on these. Older children can do them very quickly...My 13 year old can do one on her own easily and Keira, who is 6, can also with limited assistance.



Bree likes playing with our scraps while we work :)


They were played with all afternoon - it's so great and affirming to witness how something so simple can inspire hours of creative play.





11 comments:

Erica said...

What a cute idea! We have all these corn husks from shelling dried corn today and I never thought of making dolls!! Thanks so much! I love your blog!

Tammy said...

What did you use for the hair and how did you attach it to the doll?

Tammy Sher

Eileen said...

Hi, Tammy!
We dried the corn silks from our corn and I used hot glue to attach.
Hope that helps!!!

~Debbi~ said...

Wow, that's so neat. Sometimes when I read your blog, I am transported back to a simpler time, an era where toys didn't need batteries and children engaged all five senses in playing. I wish I had your creativity and patience. But I'm trying to incorporate some of that into my own life. We're starting small - making homemade pizza (all organic, of course) and baby food. My 3 year old is fascinated and I'm mortified that I'm just now thinking of involving him in cooking and making things!

Eileen said...

Thanks so much, Debbi! By the way, can you email me the link to your yahoo group? I can't seem to find it by doing a search and I'd like to rejoin. Also, its NEVER too late to start cooking with your son - how about some applesauce? It was easy and fun! xoxoxo

Sara said...

Your dolls turned out really cute!

Lizz said...

I'm glad to have found your blog.

Fun Mommy of 2 said...

I love your blog. I have been reading it for sometime. I have to say you are very creative and inspirational. What great ideas you have.

amanda said...

What a fabulous project. Looks like lots of fun.

kristina said...

thank you so much for the wonderful craft ideas. I really love the doll/tree house that you have in a few of the pictures. Is it homemade? If so, I would love to get the "plans"!

Natsu Ando said...

Hi,Eileen
I found this site,when I make the doll craft a key word and retrieve it. Your Corn Husk Dolls are lovery.their dolls has a message that children enjoyed to make dolls.
MY hobby is nature craft making too.Please look at my work when it is good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails